Monday, April 20, 2009

The red-spotted toads are back in full force

I love my toads. The red-spotted toads (Bufo punctatus) came out of hibernation about two weeks ago and the males now serenade me at night with their mating calls. They can get very loud. Every once in a while I let the pool chlorine level drop so the eggs will hatch so I can net all the tadpoles to transfer to another container for rearing (It is easier to transfer tadpoles than sticky eggs that get damaged easily). They exert so much energy and time to breed in my pool so I want them to be successful some of the time. Last night I had 8 in my pool and decided to take some pictures. You can hear what they sound like at

http://www.californiaherps.com/frogs/pages/b.punctatus.sounds.html

Pictures from last night:





No comments: