Saturday, May 26, 2012

It's not everyday a hot air balloon lands on your neighbors property after just barely clearing your house.

On the morning of 14 April 2012, Fringe was barking like crazy which is unusual. I went out to the back of the house and a hot air balloon was barely above the ground. My house is up on a hill and there is a wash between me and my neighbor to the east. The balloon was so low in this valley the bottom of the basket was just above my head. The balloonist managed to rise up enough to barely clear the big mesquite in the dog yard and my roof and make it beyond my neighbors house to the west where it landed in the desert. I was amazed the landing didn't take out any saguaros.

balloon & neighbors house:

Ironically, a couple of weeks later a local biologists blog I read had a post about a balloon making an emergency landing on their property on the other side of the big mountains you see in the pictures. In those pictures it looks like the balloon had a big rip.

I'm quite certain this is a local balloonist that offered paid rides. If you are looking into a balloon ride on the west side of Tucson, AZ,  ask to see what their balloon looks like and if they often make emergency landings in the desert.

No comments: